Friday, June 6, 2008

Obscure Italian Car Makers & Models begining with A

Its been almost a year since I last posted here as my own website keeps me very busy as its very labour intensive it can take up to 3 hours to one hand type a issue of Classic & Sportscar magazine (as theres a hell of a lot of guff before you reach the features sometimes guys loose a few columists will you?) vs 30 minutes to do the weekly Autocar of the UK (Its not as good as it once was..pity The Racing Reports are complete crap!)

- I had intended to carry on with this series months ago but I was waiting until I had finished the 77 Auto Italias lent to me in May 2007 (soon to be returned) by David Brise of the Fiat Club NZ I covered the period in depth of everything in those magazines from March 1999 to April 2007
2006-2007 is on line while 1999-2007 I have another database on 300+Excel Spread sheets which records on particular car what it is where it can be found, who owns it who formally owned it ; did it race? when was it built? What s the chassis number whats the Reg new vs now ; Who Restored it etc

My Function and focus is to give you readers some references rather then going into any great depth on history of the cars _ i sure they many experts out there who know a hell lot more then I do

So to start todays post we going to start from A and work away through Z - I had originally done Lombardi way back in June 2007 (as its always interested me this unusual maker as 6 or so turned up in Right Hand Drive form in Australia in 1971) However in trying to gain photos I recieved nil response Efforts to gain photos from other european websites and clubs even when I asked permission drew a strong no particarly from a guy in Belgium which is sad that some enthusists are bit selfish with their images and ability to help others so I ask those of you who have photos of cars to reply to my blogg

Good place to start would Carlo Abarth's company . Most Italian enthusists associate Abarth as a company that modifies exsisting cars particularly Fiat true thats how they started and more less what they are today although they are owned by Fiat
So rather then going into the History itself I present you the reader to read up on it yourself
as per always give references

Note in brackets
(Aus) =Australia
(GB) =Great Britain / United Kingdom
(I) = Italy
(NZ) = New Zealand
(US) = United States

Book References (These are Reviews I referenced)

  • Abarth Guide FAZA -by A S Cosentino and Nigensha; USA - December 1985 Auto & Design ( I ) Page 69
  • Abarth Fiat Based Cars by Andrea & David Sparrow ; Published by Veloce - 24March to 20April 2006 Auto Italia (GB) Page 18 Issue No. 117

History References

  • On Four Wheels 1973-1975 Edition Published in weekly parts by Orbis Publishing page 5-9 'At the sign of the Scorpion' by Piero Casucci
  • Brief History feature -6 December 1989 Autocar (GB) Page 65
  • History "Sting in the Tail" -August 1987 Car (GB) Page 138-142
  • History -"Why it died" - May 1997 Car (GB) Page 82-83
  • Lot more to be added (indirectly history often mentioned as part of a feature on a particular car)

Cars themselves now I admit I am bit confused with regard to some of the models if you Abarth enthusist ..you probably can correct me on this ..

So broadly we will look at the period 1950-1959

205 VIGNALE BERLINETTA

  • February 1991 Classic & Sportscar (GB) Page 70+ (here I have not reviewed in person)
  • May 1990 Road & Track (US) Page 142-147

205A Coupe GT 1950 -The Fischer Green Star

  • Featured at Auction -Photo only Coming auction Christies Retromobile 14 Feb 2004 Paris -Feb2004 Auto Italia (GB) Issue #90
  • Mentioned at Italian cars at auction -events highlights 1950 Abarth 205A-The Fischer Green Star (see Feb news page) unique life in hands of Austrian enthusist racer Hermut Fischer selling for 105750 Euros; April 2004 Auto Italia (GB) Page 12 Issue # 92

207A SPYDER 1100 1955 : 1089cc; 66 bhp body designed by Boano of Torino and built by Menere (Abarth body builder)

Preview when new in Italy -18th Feb 1955 Autocar (GB) page 226

Preview when new in Italy - September 1955 Modern Motor (Aus) Page 48-49;81 Volume 2 Issue No 4

Preview Retropective including History of car owned a Us enthusist November 1982 Motor Trend (US) Page 102-103;105-106

to be continued...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Sir

I have just been given the complete collection of ON FOUR WHEELS by Orbis publishing by my father. Would you know of anyone interested in these?